Father James McGlew, a native of Ireland, was the pastor of
St. Rose Parish for 36 years, and with his parishioners, was responsible for
establishing St. Rose School in 1871.
Initially St. Rose was a school for girls, and included both a grammar
school and a high school. The Sisters of
Notre Dame deNamur taught in the school until 1889, when it opened to boys as
well. Beginning in 1889 and ever since,
the Sisters of Providence from St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana taught at St.
Rose. The school was destroyed in the
great Chelsea fire of 1908, which also destroyed the church, convent, and the
homes of many of the families in the parish.
Eventually they were able to rebuild, and the current school building’s
construction was completed in 1912. The
high school closed in 1987, and in 1990, the Sisters of Providence celebrated
one hundred years of service here at St. Rose.
We are very grateful to the countless numbers of people who have helped
our school over the years with their financial dedication, service, and
St. Rose School | 580 Broadway | Chelsea, MA 02150 | phone: 617.884.2626 | fax: 617.889.2345